Thursday, April 15, 2010

Noryangjin Fish Market

Noryangjin fish market is the best place to find fresh seafood in Seoul. I couldn't recognize half of the creatures they had over there. Every morning at 5 a.m. there is a live auction where the best catch is sold to restaurants etc., but that was far too early. I love my sleep! I went at 10:30 a.m., which is probably the least busy time of day. I didn't want to be jostled right into a pile of raw fish!

Oh, how to choose?

"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers." - Hoover

Palling around.

Sashimi! It was amazing to see the fishmongers clean, debone, filet, cut, etc. the fish. They've some mad skills.

The sharkmonger.

The fishwife. She sold us abalone, shrimp, octopi and a red sea cucumber. I really wanted to buy some red snapper, but to do that I would have had to purchase the whole live fish.

Sorting!

Aerial view. The market is vast!

After you select your seafood, you take it up to the restaurants on the second level of the warehouse where they clean and prepare it for you...

Then you eat! I loved abalone, which I don't think I've tried before. I also liked the shrimp, which they grilled and seasoned with sesame oil and rock salt. I also tried... live octopus! Well, it wasn't actually alive, but the octopus's tentacles were still wriggling around after they cleaned and cut it up. It was creepy to see them all squirming around the plate. The restaurants used to serve the little octopi whole, but then some people nearly choked to death so they stopped. I was pretty scared to eat the wiggling piece of octopus, but I was told that if you chew really fast you can't tell it's moving. I don't think I've ever chewed faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment